Tuesday, July 7, 2015

More Q&A - brief thoughts about the mission and the future



Dear Family,
  
1.  Where would you like to visit at the end of July-beginning of August.
    A.  Oregon coast (the same little apartment/inn is available in Lincoln City)
    B.  San Francisco 

    C.  Both A and B, driving through the Redwoods on the way
    D.  Nauvoo and Liberty Jail (with possible side trip to St. Louis's Gateway Arch 

    E.  Other. Please specify ____________________________________ 

I would love option D!  I would love to see Nauvoo and Liberty Jail!

Oh, thanks for the map and new flight plans.  I didn't even know they had changed.  I've flown enough times and navigated enough airports to feel much more confident in traveling now, but the map will still really help.  
[Brennan returns July 15 at 4:00 p.m. You are welcome to come greet him.]

2.  Have you thought about how to respond when people ask, "So, how was your mission?"  (Short essay question -- not Yes/No)
 Nope.  I haven't thought about that at all.  I guess I would say that on a daily basis, it was tiring, trying, eye-opening, joyful, and humbling.  I felt the power of the Spirit at work countless times, but I'm still just beginning to appreciate how miraculous the works of the Lord are.  I wouldn't give it up for the world!

3.  How has your mission changed you?
To be short, and without much real thought about this question or eloquence, serving a mission has helped me to feel more confident, calm, and close to Heavenly Father.  I also notice that I ask a lot more "Why" questions now.  I agree with Elder Guymon that you'll probably notice the change much more than I have.


4. What testimony building experience and/or answer to prayer comes to mind from this last week/month?
Well, Elder Hanks and I were really praying that we'd find new investigators, and that we'd find people willing to be baptized.  The testimony-building part was seeing these prayers answered after working diligently to try to fulfill our desires.
You remember Lane, the investigator I mentioned in my email last week?  The day after he attended the second session of that class, he asked us a few questions about Christianity. We taught him a simple first lesson that day, and he committed to read the Book of Mormon and pray to his Heavenly Father daily. This Friday, just after we returned from MLC, he arrived early to the English class, with a big smile on his face. He said to me, "Can I talk to you? I have something good I want to tell you. I prayed to God on the school bus this morning, and after that I just had a good feeling all day. Even when the teacher scolded me and when some other things went wrong, I didn't get angry, I just had a calm feeling. I think what you are teaching me is good and true!" Right then and there, he committed to be baptized on August 1st! This special experience has really strengthened my testimony that the Lord is preparing the hearts of the people here and that I will be led to the right people if only I'm willing to open my mouth.

5. What are you most looking forward to when you come home?
Honestly, I haven't given that a lot of thought either.  (Maybe I don't think about anything at all?)  Of course I'm very excited to see you all at the airport, but I haven't really thought about what I want to do most after that.  I do miss playing music.  I'll probably hug my trumpet just as warmly as I hug all of you ;)  I'm also looking forward to helping in the church by accepting and fulfilling another calling, including home teaching.

6.  What are you most anxious or worried about regarding coming home?
I'm don't want to be a directionless weirdo.  I hope I can get a plan for my life.  I also don't even know what school is anymore, so that will be an interesting transition.  Who am I going to speak Chinese with??  How do I even use...Facebook? (I assume that will be the best way to stay in contact with the Malaysian members and recent converts.)

7.  What do you already miss when you think about coming home? 
I definitely already miss the members of the Church here!  They have taught me so much more than I could possibly write in this email!  I love them all so much, and I really hope I will make a way to stay in contact with them.
I love you all so much, and I can't wait to see you again, soon!!
Love,
Brennan




No comments:

Post a Comment