Friday, December 5, 2014

Good things in Ipoh



Dear Family,

Yaay!  I'm happy to hear you received the package and everything was alright.  Thanks for the letter about that.

So, last week I left off by going to lunch with a billionaire.  Yup, that happened.  The other Elders met a beautiful young couple who own an American Chicken wings franchise here, and they took us to eat tasty food at their restaurant last P-Day.  We learned that they not only have 4 collector's Rolls Royce (s), but more kids than cars.  They have 6 children under the age of 2 years old! (twins and quadruplets!)  The entire outing with them was a lot of fun, and pretty spiritual.  After hearing some of Elder Lallemant's hilarious true stories of his childhood in Canada, we shared simply with them why we come to serve missions, and the blessings that the gospel has brought to us.  They said they thouroughly enjoyed meeting us and want to learn more!

Our district helped out at the YWCA Christmas party on Friday.  We presented to lots of children from various "caring homes" a story including the symbolism of the Christmas tree, and how we can remember Jesus Christ at Christmas.  It was fun to see these underprivileged kids, some from rough family backgrounds, having a good time and singing songs together.  The best was when Santa Claus (all the way from Australia) came to give them presents.

In case I haven't mentioned it previously, Ipoh is famous for members befriending and supporting missionaries.  There are a few amazing members in particular who never miss an opportunity to let my soul and body "delight in fatness."  We celebrated Thanksgiving with a great big Chinese lunch this week.  One of our favorite members, Sister C. (She's cool enough to go by just an initial in these emails [I, like you all, also wish I was more creative]) took us out for a massive lunch, and helped us remember our many blessings.  We all had a great time telling each other what we were grateful for, and all about the miracles we've seen at the Lord's hand lately.  I'll send you a picture if I have one.

Ipoh is a wonderful place to serve, but I know that it isn't the place that determines success in this work.  I've been praying each day for more obedience and patience, and for help to develop Christlike attributes so that I will represent Jesus Christ better.  I have been striving to do my part to help the mission achieve the baptismal goal, but I feel that my contribution is inadequate.  The Lord has really been helping me to develop faith as I learn to trust his timing to see miracles.

I was devastated this week when our one investigator with a baptismal date did not attend church.  It was disappointing because I felt I had done all I could:  I had taught as clearly and plainly as possible, had worked with the branch leaders, stressed the importance of coming to church in preparation for baptism, and provided the best path possible for the investigator to walk, and he still chose not to make the sacrifice necessary to come to church.  I'm glad to know that no effort is wasted, and I definitely haven't utterly lost heart.  I pray that the Lord will bless my investigators with understanding and a desire to walk the right path, and I pray that I will have the patience and confidence and perspective to continue to lay the foundation of God's kingdom, one stone at a time.
 
I'm so thankful for all of YOU!!  I thank you for the support you constantly are to me, through emails, and through your prayers.  Most of all, I'm grateful for your fantastic examples to me!  Keep on becoming who Heavenly Father wants you to be, and remember that He loves you and wants to bless you.  I love you all so much, too!!
Love,
Brennan

No comments:

Post a Comment